Thursday, February 21, 2008

I finally figured out how to update my blog on these archaic computers with French keyboards!! I will try to upload some photos next week, I don't want to do too much too fast. I am in the middle of my second week of classes here, they are going pretty well, the French is getting a little more manageable everyday. My host family is awesome, especially my brothers Papa and Ousmane who are 11 and 7. I think that we are starting to get more used to each other after a slightly rocky start (I shorted out their electricity, accidently walked out of Bamako (the city) and got kicked out of the communal plate during the first week). I spent last night at the house of another girl from my program, it is nice to have a little break from the family, as much as I like them.

Tomorrow (Friday), we are going to a concert featuring the rap group that my Bambara teacher manages, it should be pretty exciting. Then, Saturday, we are going to Bamako's library and to the tailor to get some real African clothes. We have classes next week, and then we begin our weeklong rural homestay, which should definitely be an adventure. My host family doesn't have plumbing or a refrigerator or anything, but I think that after the village it will seem pretty comfortable. I am running out of time on the computer, but I will definitely write more next week, and hopefully add some photos as well!

Risa

No comments: